Verizon Innovative Learning 2019-2021
Verizon Innovative Learning and Arizona State University (ASU) invite Title I middle schools to apply for an elective course curriculum. Verizon Innovative Learning aims to empower students to change the world by using emerging technology, design thinking, and social innovation to impact their communities. Throughout the course, students will have the opportunity to learn about a specific type of emerging technology, like augmented reality or virtual reality and use this technology to develop a creative solution to a social challenge. If selected to participate, your school will receive an emerging technology package valued at $4,000, virtual teacher-trainings, and access to an online student-facing curriculum. Each technology package will support a classroom of 25 - 30 students.
- Classification as a Title I school that serves a combination of 6th, 7th, and/or 8th grade and is located in the United States.
- School team of three educators who will participate during 2019/20 and 2020/21. Optional: one of the team members may be a coach, coordinator, or other supporting staff member.
- Commitment to abide by the expectations of the program, participate in required elements, and implement with fidelity for duration of two-year program (AY 2019/20 – 2020/21).
If selected, your school will receive:
Virtual trainings for teachers, opportunity to receive ASU professional development certificates, and access to a national community of practice.
Online Student Course
Access to interactive, student-facing course content on the Canvas learning management system.
An emerging technology kit of your choice valued at $4,000.
- Immersive Media (Augmented/Virtual Reality)
- Smart Solutions (Electronics/Wearables).
Technology package options:
- Option #1: Immersive Media (Augmented/Virtual Reality)
- Galaxy S8 Smart Phones, Samsung Gear VR, and Samsung Gear 360 Cameras.
- Option #2: Smart Solutions (Electronics/Wearables)
- LittleBits Coding Kits, Circuit Playground Wearable Kits, and Prototyping Materials.
- Final Application Deadline: February 15, 2019
- Deadline Extended: Monday, March 11th (3/11/19) by 11:59 p.m. EST.
- Anticipated length of time required to complete application: 45 minutes.