Global Sport Venture Challenge
Shaping the future of sport through entrepreneurship + innovation.
The Global Sport Venture Challenge, and the follow-on Global Sport Venture Development program, are designed to help ASU-affiliated entrepreneurs grow their sport-related ventures. The Global Sport Venture Challenge, powered by the ASU Global Sport Institute, awards seed grants to early-stage, sport-related ventures bi-annually from a sponsored $10,000 funding purse.
Ventures selected to win seed grants within the Challenge are advanced into the Global Sport Venture Development program. The Global Sport Venture Development program leverages professional sport-focused Venture Mentors, as well as additional startup support services, to strongly encourage the participating founders to think beyond simply selling products and services, but to also consider how their innovations might make a positive impact across the global sport community.
All ASU students, faculty and staff, as well as community founders affiliated with an approved ASU venture development program, are eligible to apply. Teams may include members who are not affiliated with ASU.
Individual founders or teams are eligible. We strongly encourage multidisciplinary teams with members and/or mentors from different fields.
How to Join
- First, apply to the ASU Venture Devils program.
- Once your startup joins the Venture Devils family, you will participate in the bi-annual Pitch Playoff.
- Ventures with successful pitches will present their ideas to a Global Sport Venture Challenge judging panel at the December and April Demo Day events.
The top 5 December Demo Day ventures will receive:
- $1,000 in development funds.
- one-on-one coaching throughout the spring semester leading up to spring Demo Day.
- local pro team venue tour and Q&A for all 5 ventures during spring semester.
- introductions to GSVD advisors for early feedback.
The grand prize winner in April will also receive:
- $5,000 grand prize.
- introductions to industry affiliates for additional feedback/product presentations.
- press release/social media opportunity via ASU and other publications.
- opportunities for additional funding.
Global Sport Venture Development Program Leadership
Chief Executive Officer
Global Sport Institute
Chief Operating Officer
Global Sport Institute
Lead Venture Mentor
Arizona State University
The Global Sport Venture Challenge and the Global Sport Venture Development program are part of ASU’s Startup Funding Network, a suite of startup funding tracks that are defined and led by the university’s institutes, colleges and schools. The ASU Funding Network supports ASU’s design aspiration of valuing entrepreneurship and providing entrepreneurial experiences to all ASU affiliates.