From our entrepreneurship programs to our economic impact, from our innovative approach to education to our success in securing patents—ASU is recognized as a higher education leader and innovator by local, national and international organizations. The following are a few of our latest honors and rankings.
#1 in the U.S. for innovation
For the second year in a row, U.S. News & World Report ranked ASU #1 among the Most Innovative Schools in America for 2017, ahead of #2 Stanford and #3 MIT, as well as Duke, Harvard and Cornell. The top rating was conferred by leading college officials across the country based on ASU’s curriculum, faculty, students, campus life, technology and facilities.
The Entrepreneurial University
ASU was selected as The Entrepreneurial University at the Deshpande Symposium for Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Higher Education in 2016.
A world leader in patents
ASU ranked #38 among worldwide institutions in earning utility patents in FY 2015, according to the National Academy of Inventors and the Intellectual Property Owners Association.
Innovation and Economic Prosperity University
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities designated ASU an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University in 2016.
AZ #3 in growth entrepreneurship
The Kauffman Index of Growth Entrepreneurship maps the 40 largest metro areas in the U.S. by their high-growth entrepreneurial activity. In 2016 they ranked Arizona #3, based on rate of startup growth, share of scale-ups and high-growth company density.
Crow among 10 most innovative college presidents
Washington Monthly named ASU President Michael Crow as one of the 10 most innovative college presidents in the U.S. in 2015, for his success at increasing access while raising graduation rates.
Carnegie distinction for community engagement
ASU was selected to receive the 2015 Community Engagement Classification from the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The classification is bestowed upon institutions that have demonstrated deep engagement with regional, national and global communities.
Recognition + Awards
- Key Recognition Related to Entrepreneurship Efforts at ASU
- ASU ranked 38th among worldwide institutions in earning utility patents
- Innovation and Economic Prosperity University Designation
- AZ Ranked #3 in Growth Entrepreneurship
- ASU Selected as "The Entrepreneurial University"
- Ranked No. 1 as the "Most Innovative School" for 2016
- Cordes Innovation Award Hall of Fame - University Innovation Fellowship
- America's Ten Most Innovative College Presidents - Michael Crow
- ASU earns Carnegie distinction for community engagement
- Excellence in Entrepreneurship Education Specialty Program Award - Pave Program
- Deshpande Symposium Award for Excellence in Student Engagement in Entrepreneurship - Changemaker Central
- Selected as host-site of CGI U in 2014
- Most Promising Technology Based Economic Development Initiative Award
- Three ASU Alums on "30 under 30 list"
- Global Consortium of Entrepreneurship Centers Award Winner - Outstanding Contribution to Venture Creation
- ASU Ranked #18 of top Global University Incubators
- Cordes Innovation Award for Changemaker Central
- Cordes Innovation Award Winner - University Innovation Fellowship
- First scholarly journal in the field of Arts Entrepreneurship - Artivate: A Journal of Entrepreneurship in the Arts
- ASU joins Changemaker Campus Consortium
- Skysong, the ASU Scottsdale Innovation Center, recognized as the Mixed Use Development of the Year
- Scottsdale has been named as one of the best cities to launch a startup, outside of Silicon Valley & NYC
- UEDA Community Connected Campus Award
- UEDA Judges Award - Overall Economic Development Activities
- Silver Excellence in Economic Development Award in the category of Partnerships with Educational Institutions for community with populations 200K - 500K
- "Best of Arizona Award" for ASU as the New American University and its Economic Impact
- Innovator of the Year Award for College Students - Cronkite School's Public Insight Network Bureau
- 20 universities that are most likely to land you a job in Silicon Valley